St John's Church
Bewdley Road, Kidderminster, DY11 6RL.
10.30am Sung Eucharist followed by refreshments.
6.30pm Evensong (2nd & 4th Sundays of the month).
The church of St. John the Baptist is a Grade 2 listed building and is situated on a busy main road on the west side of Kidderminster opposite the local hospital. It stands well back from the road and is approached by a tree lined path. The surrounding area is made up of mainly terraced and modern properties.
The church was consecrated in 1843 and was called 'The Black Church' as it was built using blue-black bricks. In 1892 the original church was enlarged with the spire remaining as a memento of the Black Church. It was reordered and partitioned in the early 1970's, with the west end of the church becoming a Refectory and vestries and offices constructed in the north and south aisles. St. John's has some fine examples of stained glass in both the east and west windows. It has benefited from a legacy from the Stretton family, a prominent Kidderminster family with a medical tradition, where new clerestory stained glass windows were installed in December 2015 representing 'Faith, Charity, Hope’. The fabric of our church has further been enhanced more recently with the kitchen being refitted and updated and the toilets being refurbished giving a disabled and two unisex toilets. In 2014 the partition dividing the church from the refectory was replaced and glass doors fitted leading into the centre aisle of the church.
There is a large churchyard, with the main part extending for quite some distance to the rear of the church. During early spring a carpet of snowdrops and crocuses provides a breathtaking display.
Our church has strong links with St. John's Primary School, with assemblies taken by the clergy. End of term services are held in church, visits arranged for educational purposes and the school choir has sung with St. John's choir for carol services.
We are a friendly congregation and you are very welcome to join us for worship.